If you have a pet dog, a dog house is something that you may want to consider getting for your dog. If your dog remains outside, you will definitely need the best dog house. Why? The answer is simple! Your dog requires protection. When outside, your dog is easily exposed to several hostile forces. These forces are mostly weather problems. Other problems include threats from stray dogs, wild animals, etc. Weather is the biggest threat. Even though your dog has fur (something that makes people believe it to be the ultimate shield against everything), it is not enough. Yes, it gives protection to some extent, but it is not the ultimate defense.
Dogs are very susceptible to cold and heat. During winter, when temperatures fall below freezing, dogs can easily become victims of hypothermia. It is a medical condition in which, the bodily functions slow down drastically, that is the organs begin to fail. In this example, dogs are exposed to the threat of fatality during the hot summers, several problems can occur. First, there is always a risk of heatstroke. Yes, dogs are also vulnerable to heatstroke, just like humans. Heatstroke can be fatal in nature. Also, during the summer heat, sweat forms under the dog’s coat that can lead to skin problems. Because of these problems, your dog will need a shelter that will keep it warm during the winter and cool during the summers. An insulated dog house can achieve both of these.
Threats from Stray Dogs
Additionally, your dog that stays outside can be exposed to the threat of being attacked by stray dogs and wild animals. A solid dog house can prevent this, and your dog will be able to give back a fight and defend his area from inside the house. This is because there is only one entrance and it can be guarded properly. That single entry can buy your dog sometime before you rush in for the rescue. houses are not the only idea for outdoor dogs. If your dog stays inside your house, a house can still be used as a separate sleeping spot, a resting place, or even a playful hiding place! So, getting the best dog house is always a good idea.
Different Types of Best Dog House
There are two main types of houses, stationary and portable. Within these types are thousands of options made of a vast array of materials.
The 3 Basic Stationary for Dog House Materials
Wood houses are usually made of cedar or redwood, which are decay-resistant. They can have a sloped or flat roof. Usually, these houses have to be assembled. They are easy to decorate and can be made in a variety of styles.
Plastic houses are lightweight. Made of heavy-duty plastic, they will last for years. They come ready-to-use with very little assembly required. Since they are lightweight, they can be moved around the yard if necessary.
Metal houses are usually used for hunting dogs. They are aluminum, heavy, and last for years. Dogs cannot chew through them. They are heavily insulated making them perfect for colder climates. These are not intended for their aesthetic beauty but rather for their functionality.
Top 10 Best Dog Houses
Here is the list of houses that are the best out of the best according to our experience and research. We enlist these doggy houses to provide Comfort, Quality, and Durability. Moreover, read our expert reviews on some of the best doggie houses on the market. Reading them before making a purchase can help you to get a durable house for your best friend.
1. Igloo Dog House with MicroBan Antimicrobial Protection
This igloo-shaped dog house is constructed with heavy-duty plastic material and the floor is made with structural foam. This insulated doggie house provides insulation in hot summer and cold winter. It also has an offset doorway that protects your dog from rain and this is a great house for hot weather.
There is a vent on the top of the roof which allows fresh air to circulate that keeps your pet cool in hot summer. This big house has a raised floor and side moats that drain water and keep your dog dry. It has a Microban Antimicrobial Protection feature which helps to prevent the growth of odor and stain-causing bacteria.
- There is a vent on the top of the roof for air circulation.
- It is made with heavy-duty plastic and structural foam material.
- This doggie house provides insulation in both kinds of weather.
- It protects your dog from outdoor elements.
- Its Microban Antimicrobial Protection feature prevents the growth of bacteria which causes odor and stain.
|Size||Medium, Large, & Extra-Large|
|Product Dimensions||43.8 x 34 x 25.8 inches|
|Rating||4.1 out of 5|
2. Best Outdoor Dog House
This outdoor house has a folding feature that is easy to set up within 5 to 10 seconds and this doggie house needs no tool for assembly. It is easy to assemble and this is the only wooden house in the market that requires no tool to assemble. The medium wooden house is ideal for medium size dogs and it can hold up to 60 pounds of weight.
This best outdoor heated house has a large entrance that allows additional airflow to keep your pet cool in hot summer days, along with it have 4 adjustable legs to create a level platform for your dog on uneven ground. It is made with water-resistant wood, equipped with stainless steel and its roof is manufactured with asphalt shingles. Moreover, this simple dog house has a 1-year of manufacturing warranty.
- It is easy to assemble, just unfold and your work is done.
- The house can hold up to 60 pounds of weight.
- It is made with water-resistant wood and heavy-duty material.
- This is large enough to provide comfort and protect your pet from outdoor elements.
- This house provides ventilation and keeps your pet dry.
|Brand||MidWest Homes for Pets|
|Size||Small, Medium, & Large|
|Color||Light Beige & White|
|Product Dimension||25.2 x 40.6 x 29.1 inches|
|Rating||4.9 out of 5|
3. Barn-Shaped Insulated Cheap Dog House
The Barn-Shaped cheap dog house provides insulation and protects your dog from outdoor elements. It is constructed with top-quality plastic and specially made for small breeds, enough durable to hold up weight up to 15lbs. The heavy-duty plastic material enhances its longevity and provides reliable protection.
The Plastic dog house has a rear air ventilation system that promotes fresh air to circulate and keeps your dog cool in the summer heat. It has also an extended roof that diverts snow and rainwater away from the doggy house, also, the extra small dog house has raised floor to keep your dog dry and nice. The insulated house will keep your dog warm in winter and cool in summer. Lastly, it is easy to clean with a sturdy brush and garden hose.
- It has a strong composition and a sturdy frame.
- The insulated house keeps your dog warm in winter and cool in summer.
- This house has a rear air ventilation system that promotes fresh air to circulate.
- It is easy to clean and maintenance-free.
- This house helps to protect your pet from outdoor elements.
|Size||Extra-Small, Medium, & Large|
|Product Dimension||26.5L x 18W x 16.5H inches|
|Rating||4.5 out of 5|
4. Waterproof Wooden Dog House for Large Dogs
This large dog house is constructed with heavy-duty wooden material and the roof is made with asphalt shingles. It is easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes and also easy to clean due to its removable floor. The wooden house has a slanted waterproof roof.
This waterproof dog house has 4 elevated feet which will keep away from moisture and the slatted floor promotes air to circulate in summer. It comes with door flaps and can hold up to 75 pounds of weight. Lastly, the manufacturing company will be responsible for the damages during shipping.
- It is easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes.
- This house is constructed with heavy-duty and waterproof wooden material.
- It can hold up to 75 pounds of weight easily.
- The durable wooden house is easy to clean.
- It has 4 elevated feet and comes with door flaps.
|Product Dimension||45.7 x 31.9 x 30.7 inches|
|Rating||4.2 out of 5|
5. Water Resistant Outdoor Dog House
The light taupe house is made with sturdy and durable water-resistant material and it comes with a matching vinyl door to promote easy access for your canine friend. It can easily hold up to 70 pounds of weight. It is easy to assemble, as well as this finest house design will coordinate with many house architectural designs.
This durable house will protect your dog from outdoor elements. It is easy to assemble and also easy to clean. This house is great for outdoor as well as indoor use and it is equipped with vents that allow superior air circulation.
- It is made with water-resistant durable material.
- It has a removable roof for easy cleaning.
- The house is easy to snaps together.
- It has multiple vents that provide fresh air to circulate and keep your pet safe.
- It keeps your pet safe from outdoor elements.
|Product Dimension||35 x 27 x 29.5 inches|
|Rating||4.3 out of 5|
6. Hut-Shaped Best Budget Indoor Dog House
This soft indoor dog house is manufactured with thick nylon fabric. The hut shape dog house is waterproof and dries quickly, even with no impregnation. This small indoor house does not need any maintenance. Besides, it is easy to clean just with a damp cloth and the dirt disappears instantly. The zipper roof is removable which helps to clean it easily. Finally, this is the best dog house for pitbull.
- It is manufactured with thick nylon fabric.
- This house is easy to clean and no need for any maintenance.
- It increases starched resistance.
- The Cordura material does not leak & abrasion-resistant.
- This indoor house is waterproof and dries quickly.
- Its zipper roof is removable.
|Product Dimension||23.6L x 21.6W x 23.6H inches|
|Rating||4.7 out of 5|
7. Outdoor Wooden Dog House with Adjustable Legs
This extra large dog house is made with waterproof solid pine material and a draft with a resistance tongue and grove design. Its adjustable feet to level dog house on the uneven surface plus removable floor promote fresh air circulation. The roof is covered with composite shingles and can be open by using locking arms for extra ventilation so, this is the best air conditioned dog house as well as it is easy to clean. This dog house is ideal for dogs such as Golden Retriever or German Shepherd and it can hold up to 95 pounds of weight easily.
- It is constructed with waterproof solid pine.
- It has a removable floor to allow fresh air circulation.
- The doggie has a hinged roof with two locking arms which open above.
- This doggie house is easy to clean.
- It can hold up to 95 pounds of weight and is ideal for large breeds.
|Size||Medium, Large, X-Large, & XX-Large|
|Product Dimension||32.3 x 31.1 x 45.7 inches|
|Rating||4 out of 5|
8. All-Weather Top Dog House for Indoor and Outdoor
This dog house amazon is great for indoor as well as outdoor use and ideal for small to medium size dogs. The design of this doggie house makes the dog comfortable. This small house is easy to assemble just with the help of a screwdriver within a few minutes.
The house is lightweight, durable, and sturdy. It is constructed with heavy-duty smooth plastic and is also easy to clean. It has ample on the sides to promote air circulation.
- The raised floor keeps dirt and water away.
- Easy cleaning due to a smooth surface.
- Easy to assemble just with a screwdriver.
- Constructed with durable and sturdy material.
- Ample on sides allows great air circulation.
|Color||Red, Green, & Blue|
|Product Dimension||29.53 x 23.62 x 25.98 inches|
|Rating||4.4 out of 5|
9. Two Story Small Wooden Dog House with balcony
The small wooden dog house is specially designed for small pets like small dogs and cats. This house is ideal for indoor and outdoor use and it is constructed with kiln-dried cedar and treated with natural color stain. The two-story dog house can be placed on the deck and balcony of the home.
This dog house with a balcony has steps along with the house leading to the top of the roof where your pet will get sunbath and playing. It has a removable roof and bottom which helps to clean it easily, along with it being easy to assemble within 20 minutes.
- It is constructed with kiln-dried cedar and treated along with the natural color stain.
- The doggie hose is specially designed for small pets.
- This is easy to assemble within 20 minutes.
- It resists extreme temperature and humidity due to natural cedar.
- This dog house has a removable roof and floor for easy cleaning.
- It has a balcony along with steps.
|Style||Wood Room with a View|
|Product Dimension||21 x 29 x 26 inches|
|Rating||4.2 out of 5|
10. Insulated Dog House with Removable Floor
This pet’s imperial dog house is one of the top-rated dog houses in the market due to its features and durability. It has outstanding, awesome, and fantastic built quality, and the construction of this sturdy dog house is consists of timber which is 0.47 inches thick, Styrofoam 0.57 inches thick, and plywood board 0.08 inches thick. Moreover, the wall of this dog kennel is 150% thicker as compared to other kennels.
This super-insulated dog house provides insulation in winter as well as in summer. It has a removable floor which is essential for hygiene, also a removable floor helps to clean the pet house easily. It has also an opening roof with 2 locking arms. Your pet will enjoy while sleep in this dog house where he/she can hide from others which creates a sense of security.
The dog kennel is easy to hold up to 154 pounds of weight. It has 4 adjustable rot-free plastic caps and adjustable legs to stay level on even or uneven surfaces. The raised floor allows air circulation underneath the kennel which keeps the floor comfortable and dry. The heavy-duty material makes it long-lasting.
- This is the best insulated dog house that keeps your pet cool in summer and warm in winter.
- This house is constructed with high-quality material which enhances its longevity.
- It is 150% thicker than other dog kennels.
- The opening roof and removable floor help to clean it easily.
- It has adjustable legs to stay level on uneven ground.
- It can hold up to 154 pounds of weight.
|Product Dimension||3ft 8″ (W) x 2ft 5″ (D) x 2ft 7″ (H)|
|Rating||4.4 out of 5|
Things to Consider Before Buying
Measures your Dog for a Dog House
To determine the doghouse door size, measure from the floor to your pet’s shoulder. Multiply this measurement by .75 to get the right height for the door opening. Dogs often lower their heads when they enter a dog house. If your pet’s floor to shoulder height is 20″ (20″x.75) then the minimum door height should be 15″.
Measurements of House for Dog
When purchasing, make sure that you get the right size depending on the size and weight of your dog. Also, be sure that the house is very strong and can withstand all weather conditions and the beatings your dog can take it through.
Ideally, the house should have well-insulated walls, a crowned/grooved floor for keeping the base dry in case water gets inside (can happen during rainy days), and it should be easy to assemble. Easy, the tool-free assembly should always be the first choice.
The doghouse should also be easy to clean. Generally, look for a detachable roof that will allow you to clean the interiors easily. You can also look for options like personalization, doors, etc. but they may or may not be present and depend on the manufacturer.
The best Dog house is an essential need of your canine friend to get comfort and quality sleep. The right dog house will keep your pet happier and comfortable during yard time and it helps to prevent catching the weather-related illness. Our dogs gave us love and constant devotion, in return we should properly take care of them.
Expert Tip: Choose a doggy house that is suitable according to the climate in which you will use it. If there is cold weather so get a wooden insulate dog house and if you live in that area where your pet face warm weather then you should pick a plastic insulated dog house.
Our Recommendation: if you want a plastic insulated dog house then our 1st pick-up is the best option which is the Igloo Dog House with MicroBan Antimicrobial Protection, it has a proper ventilation vent on the top to allow fresh air to circulate. Or, if you want to buy a wooden insulated dog house then our 10th pick-up Pets Imperial Extra-Large Insulated Dog House with Removable Floor is the best option. These dog houses value every single penny.
Originally posted 2021-11-05 11:04:20.
We are a group of Dog Experts and Lovers with years of experience with Dog training, Dog health, Dog grooming and breeding. We bring our years of experience and passion for our furry friends to help educate others about how to give your canine the best life ever. You will also find a great assortment of our recommended dog pet products available for sale on our website here.